Monday, July 6, 2009

So sorry everyone!



Technical difficulties here are much greater than I originally supposed. Trying to work it out.....if you're reading this, though, then I guess I can give you a little rundown:

Okay, so here's what went down. They brought the kids to the hotel instead of letting us go to the orphanage. We were in a small conference room with two other families. They had an official from the orphanage there to answer questions for us about our kids: what they
like to eat, sleeping habits, personality, etc. We discovered that Xi Juen is a good eater and sleeper, smart, and very bossy but doesn't think she's bossy.

When she came in with the two other children, one about 3.5 and one about 4.5, she came to me at first and then cried for a couple of minutes. Then when she saw that one of the younger children was very upset, she went into sort of a caretaker mode, where she brought the little girl a doll.

Then she started checking all of us out, seeing the little treats we brought her and the bag of stuff they had brought with her from the orphanage, etc. When she discovered a little package of M&Ms, she made sure to take some to her little friends before digging in. Joel and Clyde were really fabulous, trying sweetly to get her attention and telling her "I love you" in Chinese.
She wasn't really interested, but by the end of the day she and Joel had already developed a fun, teasing rapport.

She is just a doll. Cute, sweet, precocious, etc. Very neat, orderly and girly. What she seems to like best so far are her brothers, dolls, clothes and shoes. Less interested in TV and video games. Now that's a girl with priorities I can relate to.

She still seems to be pretty happy to be with us as we near the 24-hour mark together. I can't wait to see what will happen next!

More soon.

9 comments:

Leah said...

So exciting! Missy showed me photos of y'all on her iphone during church yesterday (I had been unable to access them on my blackberry).

(Wow, we are a technological toy bunch.)

Can't wait to see more photos, hear more about the family!

LG

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

I just found your blog and am so excited for your story. Congratulations, safe travels, and all the best! That's so exciting!

Peter and Nancy said...

Congratulations! I found your blog through "It's Almost Naptime" -- we brought our daughter home from India 18 months ago. God bless your family as you get to know each other!
Nancy

Meredith said...

So happy to hear about her fullness of personality and about the good start at making a connection with her. Sweet Joel. Upon hearing about some of RJ's personality traits, Caroline reported, "I think we're going to get along."

L said...

What an absolutely beautiful family.

LisaDavis said...

Hi Jenny! I am following your blog. Send me the link to the NYT blog you did. Your family is BEAUTIFUL! Way to go! I am so happy for you all. Love, your SMU pal, Lisa D.

Christie said...

Jenny, once again , God Bless all of you!! LOVED the Blog update! Actually, Liliana, our first China-adopted child, was also brought to us at the hotel. For the next two, respectively, we met at the CCIA/Consulate building in their respective cities. Orphange visits were arranged in the days after receiving our children. I LOVE Rosemary's thinking---especially caring for the other children--sad but true, this is a beautiful trait "older" children in orphanges develope...we saw this even in 27 month old children (compared to 14, 16, 18 month olds)...and Joel sounds like a perfect match for his 6 yr old "twin". God is Great!! Hope all continues to go well---No matter what, through the few ups and downs, trust always that God has brought you all together for a purpose, and "it is all Good"!!!

Women Ai Nimen!!!We Love You!!!

xoxoxo,

Christie and Family!

Ann said...

This made me cry. I don't know why. I cannot wait to meet Rosemary.

Praise and Coffee said...

Precious, congratulations!!!